||His Excellency Dr Mohammed Bin Said Bin Khalfan Al Mamari
Minister of Awqaf and Religious Affairs of Oman
Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs
The Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs (MARA) is the governmental body in the Sultanate of Oman responsible for overseeing all matters related to endowments and religious affairs.
The Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs was originally established as the Ministry of Endowments and Islamic Affairs. The original ministry was merged with the Ministry of Justice to established the Ministry of Justice, Endowments and Religious Affairs in 1982, until they split up again in the year 1997 creating the ministry in its current name replacing the term “Islamic” with “Religious”.
The competences of the Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs are as follows :
- Undertaking the affairs of endowments and settings strategies and projects to reserve them and develop their resources.
- Preserving the properties of Bayt al-mal.
- Setting strategies for managing zakat (charity).
- Establishing mosques and following all affairs related to them.
- Supervising religious advisory and guidance and preparing nationals to specialise in related fields.
- Developing Quran education.
- Carrying out religious studies and research.
- Coordinating with the concerned authorities the regulation of religious publications and works.
- Supporting and helping pilgrims in their performance of hajj.
- Exchange information and expertise with Arabic and Islamic religious organizations in the field of endowments and religious affairs.
- Representing the Sultanate in conferences, symposiums and meeting related to endowments and religious affairs.